Family 1959This history is mostly about Paul’s music career interwoven with his personal life.

Paul Seymour was born in England, about the same time as Rock’n’Roll was born. At the age of six he came to Australia with his parents and sister. Their first home was in Dee Why on Sydney’s beautiful Northern Beaches. Back then the area was a remote under-populated suburb with market gardens everywhere: tomato plants as far as the eye could see! Not like today with its millions of units filled with latter-day Pommy immigrants or single parent families, and its trendy chrome-plated cafés with their over-priced menus to fleece silly yuppies and tourists.

From Dee Why they moved to Narrabeen, a little further north, where Paul invented a time machine, built a TV from cardboard, string and scrap metal, wrote his first play, first symphony, first novel and more importantly, made the decision to become a musical mega-star and save the World. When his parents had the opportunity to buy their first home they took it, which took the family to an even more remote corner of the galaxy called Canley Heights where they were the only family in a street full of brand-spanking-new houses. With deserted streets to ride their bikes on and a creek out the back of their house which wound through hectares of bush, Paul and his sister were in Heaven. Their school was a quaint collection of buildings at the crossroads of two narrow streets in town, where you’d almost expect to see a horse and buggy.

On one bike excursion to to the CBD, ie: the main street with its cake shop, post office, cinema and pub, Paul discovered a dusty old hock shop in a hidden lane way. It was filled with crusty ancient books and tarnished jewellery from long forgotten love-gone-wrong but in the window, gleaming in the afternoon sun were two beautiful old guitars. Forbidden fruit! Rock’n’roll was wicked and The Beatles were still considered long-haired louts, yet Paul already knew his destiny and began saving for the less expensive guitar. When he eventually bought it from that “five and dime”, to paraphrase Bryan Adams, he played it ’til his fingers bled.

Paul65These days the school still looks the same but the crossroads are now six lane highways, lined with huge kitschy houses that have Doric columns out front. The once safe streets are, apparently, now ruled by the Vietnamese Mafia with regulated crime, gang fights and drive-by shootings. The family’s old house looks worse for wear, the bush is now a manicured reserve with only the occasional tree and the creek is now a storm-water drain. Progress sucks!

By the time Paul started high school the family had moved back closer to civilisation and his Dad’s work. Boronia Park on the boundary of Gladesville and Hunters Hill, was a nice place to hit puberty. Growing up and growing one’s hair was difficult enough in the sixties but when your Mum taught English and History at your school and your headmaster was a prejudiced old fart, it was nigh on impossible yet Paul’s hair extended past the legal collar length and beyond, not to mention the side-burns and incipient moustache (a-la Sergeant Peppers) tinted with mascara pinched from Mum’s drawer. Being threatened with expulsion and having one’s precious guitar fingers caned almost to breaking point by sadistic teachers didn’t quell Paul’s dream. Eventually his Mum transferred to another school which only made the persecution worse and less than two years later he left school in his final year before the Higher School Certificate engulfed him. To this day he still has nightmares about having to go back to school to finish… something.

It was post-school that Paul’s real education began. A friend of a friend he played squash with, Terry, played guitar also. Soon, Saturday squash gave way to Saturday jam sessions with drummer John, ear-splitting volume, repetitious riffs that smacked of Deep Purple or Free and original songs that came from the heart of a sincere young man, full of pseudo political comment and know-it-all wisdom. Paul played bass. He and Terry had tossed a coin to see who’d play guitar or bass. Later a second guitarist, Frank, joined and another friend from Terry’s work, Rod became the band’s manager/roadie. That first band was called Black Light, then later Melna Gaisma (which is Latvian for Black Light… don’t ask). Then later again it Paul at 19was changed again to Warlock. After a few embarrassing parties for friends, some high school hops, a couple of lucky support gigs and being runner-up in the Hoadleys Battle of the Bands heat against Sherbet and Jeff St John, the band actually started to get a name around the embryonic Sydney circuit.

Alas, to again miss-quote Mr Adams, “Terry quit and Johnny got married, we should’a known we’d never get far… it was the Summer of ’72”. Rock’n’Roll and Paul were hitting twenty.

Not wasting any time, Paul answered an ad in the ‘Herald for a bass-player vocalist. The audition was at an inner city pub which was owned by the father of the lead vocalist. Paul’s shoulder length hair, odd shaped bass and a modicum of talent got him the job. Paul hit it off well with the guitarist and drummer (Jeff and another John) but it wasn’t long before the three of them realised the singer had little going for him but his father’s pub and.. he had short hair! So they became a three piece band and Paul took over lead vocals. Unfortunately, rehearsals had to move from the inner city to Padstow in south-western Sydney. Bummer.

The band lasted about a year until John, (who got married) from the first band, rang Paul and begged him to audition for his new (cover) band who’d just lost their bassist, with an important band competition coming up. Paul had never played covers before. He joined on Friday, learnt the songs on Saturday and they won the heat on Sunday. The following Wednesday they auditioned for a gig at the Sands Hotel in Maroubra and got it. They went on to win the semis and the finals of the competition (mainly because of the strength of an original song they slipped in) and scored two nights a week at the Seals Club also in Maroubra.

It was the year 1975, the same year Paul married his beautiful, life-long friend Jassmine.

It was soon after that time of sweaty nights and pseudo fame that Paul tumbled accidentally into teaching music. His mother had hoped he’d follow in her footsteps but never dreamt he would be a teacher of guitar and bass. He now had a wife to support and in 1978 his first son, Jody (Zane) was born.

His music school in Brookvale and later in Dee Why (you know, market gardens and yuppy units..) thrived for three years (photos3dsee Tuition section) until the call of the wild dragged him back screaming at audiences again, with his unique blend of Bowie-esque and Zeppelin-ese guitar and vocal. Paul 1978

Unfortunately the re-booting of his live performance also hailed the end of his marriage. He admits that it was a result of his own frustration and a selfish need to fulfil his dream plus Jassmine’s inability to understand that, which caused the breakup.

Paul nailed it on the North Sydney circuit, becoming one of the more popular performers. While his old friends, like Mark Kitchen (Choir Boys) and Matthew Moffitt, with whom he’d co-written and performed, were struggling to make a crust as original bands, Paul was cleaning up as a soloist compromising with covers. The tables were turned later when Matthew’s band, Matt Finish, became one of the biggest in the country. Paul’s envy for his friend’s success taunted him for years until he learnt of Matt’s death.

Many bands, gigs and heart-felt songs later, Rock’n’Roll and Paul hit thirty. He was burned out by the industry that his generation had created. There had been no ‘industry’ in ’72, just guys in bands putting on shows and paying for their own posters which they put up at 3 am. By ’82 it was a well oiled machine run by greedy entrepreneurs who preyed on the enthusiasm of young musicians. From the wonderful acoustic lounges and music cafés of a more innocent time, live music had moved into the pubs. Alcohol was the fuel of music now. It was great for a while when the lucky few: the ‘Cold Chisels’, ‘Midnight Oils’ and ‘INXSs’ were born but for some who, despite much head bashing and brick wall denting, still hadn’t made a dent on the now impervious music industry, it was time to either hang up the axe or take another tack.

paulMosPaul took another tack. Recording was the answer. He was now in a supportive relationship, with a pretty girl he’d met at one of his shows, Melinda. In ’83 their son Triston was born. So, with two young sons to look after (Jody on weekends) and a hand-built rehearsal studio and PA hire business to manage, it was a perfect time to develop the music that would ‘take the World by storm’. And he did, but it didn’t. He won a major song competition, run by the studio he’d been recording at, and made front page of the Manly Daily in September ’84. MD photo1aA video clip of his song ‘Some Better Day’, which had won the competition, was produced by ABC TV and got aired several times. He also had a huge backlog of home recorded songs, enough to fill a dozen albums, but it all turned to custard when Melinda left with Triston in ’86. He was a good father but he’d been so obsessed with his career he’d been a neglectful partner.

They say the best songs come out of heartbreak and despair. Paul reckons that’s bullshit! His best songs and hundreds of hours of instrumental ideas had come out of the time he was happiest with his little family and dog. He started teaching again but his heart wasn’t in it. As far as writing went he’d hit a dry spell, after wallowing in self pity for a year, until an offer to wear tights and make-up and play silly songs to Canberra audiences snapped him out of it. He joined the cast of ‘Dirty Dicks’ despite impeccable personal hygiene. He’d never done anything resembling ‘Theatre Restaurant’ gigs before and working with a cast of prima-donnas and a prancing gay director, made it a life-changing experience. In a three month period they performed to over seven thousand politicians, public servants and hospitality workers (the three food groups on the A.C.T. food chain).

After the show finished, Paul continued to bask in the afterglow of that fifteen minutes of fame long enough to establish himself as a solo performer. He was well-known as the Sydney guy with very long hair who did a fabulous version of ‘Stairway to Heaven’.

Gee Wiz1Hundreds of gigs, solo and with new-found, talented bass player/singer and partner, Michelle, had once again established a good reputation. This allowed them to play hundreds more gigs to silly drunks and so-called music lovers. ‘Gee Wiz’ also employed keyboardists Justin, then Liz, and drummers Andrew, Drew and Wayne and not forgetting loyal roadies Andrew and Vic. The duo/band was, for a while, the hottest act in the ACT.

Realising, as many musos do too late, that playing live won’t make you famous, the duo tried continuous attempts at self-promotion. They spent huge chunks of their earnings on recording sessions to try to create a tangible product. They became affiliated with producers including the biggest recording studio in Canberra, doing many recordings and promotional videos. They recorded four songs including ‘Free Woman’ which was placed on a compilation album put out by the studio. The song was voted by Canberra audiences to #7 on the local charts.

The gigs just kept on coming, lining the pockets of their agents, but despite their efforts they couldn’t break out of that pub-band syndrome. Paul so desperately wanted his own songs to be requested rather than familiar covers which pandered to people’s nostalgia as they clung to musical relics from their past. Alas, the era of originality had long gone.

Weeks turned into months then years as the memorable turned into blurred memory of what seemed Paul hotlike just one show being repeated over and over and over, like ‘Groundhog Day’. So it went on, way past Rock’n’Roll’s fortieth birthday (and Paul’s).

Then a cruel stroke of irony ended their endless run of gigs. Too many late nights flogging a guitar for four hours followed by lugging heavy PA bins in icy cold night air had created knots the size of golf balls in Paul’s arms and shoulders. Tendonitis took him off the road for nearly two years during which he and Michelle completed a business management course for the marketing of self-designed cards and publications.

They also got heavily involved with the Animal Rights movement. Paul’s sister, Frankie, was a fierce animal rights warrior, a veteran crew-member of the famous Sea Shepherd and president of Animal Liberation in Canberra. Paul and Michelle joined forces with her, undertaking many hazardous rescues and protests to help the innocent victims of selfish humans.

The duo had resumed live playing but things had changed and so had they. A decade and a thousand shows after going to Canberra, their relationship failed and Paul found himself back in Sydney, busking for bread, butter and booze on Manly Corso.

A lot has happened since then but not a lot of live playing. The performing urge was always there yet unfulfilled by his own choice. It was hard for Paul to be back in his beloved Sydney seeing lame cover bands and second rate performers playing in venues like the ones he wowed audiences in, years earlier. Occasionally he’d jump up on stage with a band and do a song or two but it was cold comfort. The joy of live performing was all but gone.

They say you’re only as good as your last show or recording. It may have seemed like the time was right to give up, get a real job, settle down and be satisfied with memories. He actually tried to, ie: got a real job, got married to an old friend/student, Robyn (from the Music School days) – two years later divorced again! Sad but true. Paul’s life was less Bohemian than before but he still had a plan. After his return to Sydney he had continued writing, got a steady job teaching at Manly Warringah Community College, where he taught Cheers (Drinking German Beer)nearly 1,500 people how to play guitar. He’d also met the lovely Kelly – beautiful, intelligent, intuitive and patient enough to help straighten out a slightly bent-out-of-shape man.

Rock’n’Roll and Paul turned fifty.

Over the first five years of this mutually supportive relationship, with their two canine children, Paul wrote a Music Theory text book plus a book of science fiction short stories, recorded two albums of cover songs for his students and spent two years producing an album of original songs.

In December 2007 Paul, Kelly and their two dogs moved across ‘The Ditch’ to New Zealand and settled in Christchurch. Paul still taught guitar and was actively promoting his album which was already getting airplay on two radio stations.

Towards the end of 2008 Paul created a video clip of the song “Underwear (..I love your taste in)” which he uploaded onto YouTube. It was instantly popular. Early in ’09 he created his second video effort for the song “Maybe J.C. (was a vegetarian)” and within a month or so, thousands of people had watched it and hundreds posted very positive comments. Two organisations (in U.K. and U.S.) put the clip on their web pages, another aired it globally on a TV network and another used it for public screening in theatres and at seminars all around the U.S.

The funny thing about history is that it’s continuous. Life in New Zealand had settled into a happy routine of Paul’s guitar classes, Kelly’s work in management for Bunnings, walking their dogs in the forest and on-going work for the the Animal Rights movement by way of Paul’s music videos and Facebook contributions.

The future was looking very exciting for Paul’s career when he was offered a prestigious gig at the Dux de Lux, in central Christchurch. Then another show was planned for the beautiful Harbourlight Theatre in Littelton. And yet another great opportunity materialised to play at the World famous open air Art Centre in Christchurch. All three gigs for early 2011 would be featuring his original songs.

Then in September 2010 an earthquake tore Christchurch apart, buckled Kelly and Paul’s house almost beyond repair and changed their lives forever. The Dux de Lux, Harbourlight and Art Centre were all destroyed.

In February 2011 another earthquake killed people in their home city and wrecked their house even further. Two more major quakes and ten thousand aftershocks later, Paul, Kelly and their dogs were still alive and kicking. Paul has kept writing many new songs since then, performed live concerts and still fought daily for the animals and the environment.

Two more mini albums were recorded and uploaded to iTunes and other on-line stores.

Six decades Thankyou3Then Rock’n’Roll’n’Paul turned 60
And what a party it was

After four years of waiting, the insurance company finally got around to Kelly and Paul’s home to repair it. They had to move out for five months to an old character home in South Brighton, where Paul soon started working on his latest songs.

A third E.P. was released in 2014, featuring a new song:
‘Billie Jean & Michael J. (the real story)’ which was intentionally made to sound similar to the original ‘Billie Jean’ and tells the little known story of the incident which inspired Michael to write his famous song. Unfortunately the promotion of that song was halted on the advice of a ‘rock’n’roll lawyer’ who believed Paul would get sued if the song was successful.

Late in 2014, Paul’s little family moved back to their beloved home in Parklands. All fixed and sparkling new, life was certainly looking up.

Paul had been playing dreary old covers again, for a couple of years, in a duo with a ‘karaoke singer’/vocal primadonna, when one of his darling dogs, Rascal, was diagnosed with cancer. On the eve of an unimportant gig with the primadonna, Paul was concerned his dog was in her last days or even hours and tried to cancel the show. His musical partner spat the dummy, called him every foul-mouthed word under the sun, and even threatened him.

Two days later his fur-baby died and to add to the grief he had to deal with the anger and emotional abuse he’d suffered because of his insensitive, half-wit partner. Needless to say, Paul quit the duo.

You can see Rascal with Paul at the top of many of these web pages. Photo taken by Kelly in happier times.

In April 2015, good friend and guitar student, Nigel, offered Paul a backyard gig at his house, (see ‘Home Concerts‘) which turned out to be an amazing success. Apparently, it had become quite a popular trend in other countries, for people to host concerts using their own premises as a venue. Paul will be continuing these very personal, yet immensely gratifying performances to showcase his diverse repertoire.


MumLater that year (June 2015) Paul’s Mum passed away one month short of her hundredth birthday and coincidentally, her sister (Paul’s aunt) died the day before and she was 101!

On April 11th, 2016, another of Kelly and Paul’s fur-babies, sadly, passed away. Billy, who had a ‘punk’ hairdo, was the last of five guinea pigs the couple had adopted over the last six years and was a well-loved member of the family.

Billy the Punk Piggy

But tragedy is often offset by happiness. Exactly a month later (May 11th, 2016) Paul’s younger son, Triston, rang from Queensland and announced that Paul was going to be a grandfather. Baby is due at the end of the year.

Now another album of exciting new songs (which were aired at the home concert with stunning results) is soon to be recorded but first this website is having a major overhaul and refurbish.

Exactly one year after Paul’s Mum passing away, this website went LIVE. It had taken Paul nearly six months, since, with the help of a friend/web designer, the project was started. Nearly every day had been spent learning how, then instigating that knowledge to build the site from scratch.

Now… to dust off the MacBook Paul bought from a student, and start the new album.

………………………….. to be continuedback to home page